Deleterious organic materials in fine aggregates can be easily detected with the Organic Impurities Test, a simple, widely-used test. Samples are mixed in a special graduated colorless glass bottle with a 3% sodium hydroxide solution, then allowed to stand for 24 hours. If the color of the supernatant liquid above the test sample is darker than a standard reference color, organic compounds may be present and further testing should be done before approval.
HM-137F Gilson Organic Impurities Test Set is available without sodium hydroxide for areas with shipping restrictions - it includes six 8oz (240ml) graduated Impurities Test Bottles w/ lids and a circular Color Reference Disk with five reference colors.
This set is available with sodium hydroxide as HM-137 Gilson Organic Impurities Test Set. The sodium hydroxide pellets make enough 3% solution to perform over 150 tests. For strict compliance to ASTM and AASHTO Standards, HM-818 Reagent Grade Sodium Hydroxide Pellets can be ordered separately. Impurities Test Bottles are graduated in oz and ml measurements and have watertight screw-on caps. All individual set components can also be purchased separately.
HM-815 Color Reference Disk comes with five permanent, fade-free solid-glass reference colors of 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16 on the Gardner color scale mounted in a protective plastic frame. Individual Gardner Liquid Color Standards are alternately available for the same reference colors and also meet ASTM/AASHTO requirements.
- Meets ASTM and AASHTO standards
- Sets are available with or without sodium hydroxide pellets
- Contains the components needed to perform Organic Impurities Test
- Includes enough pellets to complete at least 150 tests
- Organic Impurities Test Set without Sodium Hydroxide Pellets
- Sodium Hydroxide Pellets, 1lb available in standard or reagent grade for testing to ASTM and AASHTO standards
- HM-817 Organic Impurities Test Bottle w/ Lid is colorless glass with graduations in oz and ml .8oz/240ml size
- HM-815 Organic Impurities Color Reference Disk for evaluation of test results
- Gardner Liquid Color Standards individually available in Gardner Nos. 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16 for evaluation of test results